Whimbrel was built in 1902 by Fred Moore for William Robertson and launched as Echo. She raced successfully on the Tamar in the1920s. She was sold to persons unknown in Hobart. On the outbreak of war she was renamed Whimbrel and used as a patrol boat. After the war she was used as a fishing boat. In 1952 she was purchased and returned to the Tamar by Charles G Smith. In 1962 she was the first Tasmanian boat home in the Queenscliff to Devonport race. In 1975 she again returned to Hobart. In 1981 she returned to the Tamar. In 2009 she was purchased by Jim Ansell and lovingly restored. We became the new custodians in 2017 of this beautiful vintage yacht. The Whimbrel is in excellent condition and has excellent sea going capabilities.