Jock Muir originally designed Westward as a fishing cruiser for a Sydney buyer soon after World War II. The sale fell through when the hull was only partly completed and he sold the boat to George Gibson. Westward was launched in 1947 with an overall length of 41 feet 9 inches, a beam of 12 feet and a draft of 6 feet 6 inches. She is heavily constructed of one and one-eight inch Celery Top Pine planking on laminated Blue Gum frames with eight inch centres and has heavy stringers and deck beams. She has a roomy deckhouse which almost covers her self draining cockpit. Muir was sailing master in her Sydney to Hobart race wins in 1947 and 1948. The yachts owner for over 55 years, Mr Stan Field, gifted the historic yacht to the Maritime Museum of Tasmania in 2010. Mr Field had sailed Westward extensively, including a 15 year cruise, mainly in the Pacific, also visiting the Panama Canal.