Vanity was a successful member of the “One Designers”, winning the coveted Dewar Shield on several occasions. In the 1930’s when she was beginning to be outpaced by longer yachts, that problem was solved by cutting off her bow and and extending her by 7 ft. She was once again back up in the leaders until WWII. Post-war she was still a solid performer and just about any Hobart sailor over the age of 50 had crewed on her at some stage. Eventually she was converted to a cruising yacht and made her way (just) to Sydney.
Vanity was only half afloat near Sydney when purchased by the Virtue family in 2005. Originally planned as a long-term restoration in their backyard on Coochiemudlo Island, QLD, a realisation that life was too short to not be out on the water saw Vanity sent to Deagon Slipways for an extensive restoration replacing every rib, a new deck and Huon Pine coach house and a new gaff rig. During her restoration in 2006, Rob and Liz visited Hobart to research Vanity’s history and inspect her sister ship Canobie. They fell in love with Hobart and moved down with their three sons in 2008 leaving Vanity behind to be restored. Delayed for several years by assorted family crises, her rebuild was eventually completed and Vanity arrived in Hobart in time for her 100th birthday party and the Wooden Boat Festival in 2011. She once again slices through the waters of the Derwent and the channel in twilight races and wooden boat regattas and the occasional day of just drifting around in the sun.