Nymphaea was built by C. Blunt boatbuilders in Williamstown, Victoria in 1946. She was built as a commercial fishing vessel for Mr Tom Tucker for the cost of 375 pounds. In 1948 she was purchased by cray fisherman Mr Charles Williamson and his son Ken from Port MacDonnell S.A. The original engine was a Chev 4 petrol engine prior to availability of diesel engines. They used the gaff sails a lot in early days, especially with high cost of fuel following the war. The Williamson’s had a 65 pot licence in 1969 prior to that there was no pot limit.They used the centerboard a lot to steady the boat while pulling pots. Pots were pulled by hand (no gloves) and later a truck diff was converted into a winch which pulled the pots through a small opening in the bulwarks on the starboard side. Life was hard fishing for crays in the Great Southern Ocean and they fished up and down the coast and as far out as the Continental Shelf. Nymphaea lived on a swing mooring until 1973 at Port MacDonnell when David purchased her. Her original mast is the flag pole at Port MacDonnoll Bowling Club.
The vessel, once acquired by David, was removed from the water for a keel up restoration. Over the next 40 years it has been relocated 3 times, each time being housed in a purpose built shed. It has been completely rebuilt by David (an experienced marine engineer) to the highest possible standard.
The vessel planked in NZ Kauri on NZ Kauri frames and all ribs are original. Renowned boat builder Jack Gutierrez made a new rudder built of African Mahogany. A small cabin was refitted. All trims, keel and panelling are WA Jarrah. All new keel bolts are copper with handmade bronze nuts. All fastenings throughout are either gun metal or copper. All wooden blocks are handmade by David with sheaves hand turned. All nonferrous fittings were cast in bronze to David’s design and carry the vessels name in the casting and then machined to exacting standards. The interior has been rebuilt and presents in classical style of times past and all fittings and finishes are of superb quality. The engine is a Volvo Penta MD17C 35 hp marine diesel which was also completely rebuilt and installed by David. David has been conscious of all safety aspects of the vessel during the massive restoration as all open deck areas are protected by bulwarks which are topped by a lifeline on bronze stanchions and the large comfortable cockpit is fully self-draining. The new spars have been built of full length solid Oregon and these include mast, gaff, boom, jackyard and bowsprit and all rigging is of quality 316 stainless steel wire.
Nymphaea was re-launched at Martha Cove, Safety Beach on Friday 13th November 2015 and berthed at Hidden Harbour Marina B5002. It is registered with the Couta Boat Association Inc. and its allocated sail number is C1946.
Nymphaea attended the Wooden Boat Festival of Geelong in 2016 and awarded The Lyn & Larry Pardey Trophy for Wooden Yachts (under 30 ft) most deserving of recognition.