Maori Lass was built in Letitia Street North Hobart over a period of 2 years by Ron Andrewartha and his two sons and launched at Franklin Wharf by the old steam crane in September 1950.
She was a consistent and successful club racer on the River Derwent and remained in Hobart until 1970, then she relocated to Port Hacking, Sydney.
She then went on to cruise the Great Barrier Reef in 1971-2. From November 1976 until 1982 she circumnavigated the world with a young Queensland couple.
Letters sent home from the voyage from “Darwin to Sydney via the two canals” became a diary of the voyage of which we have a copy.
The current custodians purchased Maori Lass in Pittwater, Sydney in 1993. In 2004 after a 34 year absence she returned to Hobart and had a major refit ready to attend the 2005 AWBF and has attended all festivals since.
In September 2017 Maori Lass entered the famous old “Wilson’s Shed”, Cygnet where she has had a major refit and has only recently been relaunched ready for another 70 years.