Lillian, built in Beaconsfield by Tom Tiffin and launched in 1945, was the first of two boats he built, the second being Redbill. She is 30′, hardwood clinker construction, originally fitted with a 4hp Clae engine .We believe she is one of the larger clinker built vessels still afloat in Tasmania. Tom & Lillian fished out the Tamar heads until 1953 when she was purchased by Roger Maxfield & his partner Ruth Shelley, who fished her out of Coles Bay for the next 27 years. In the late 50’s the Clae was replaced with a Lister 21hp diesel to give Lillian the extra grunt needed to operate a scallop dredge and winch. In 1961, with the help of Bern Cuthbertson senior, the Lister was replaced with a 65hp Ford Thames diesel and fully decked with a handrail and aft wheelhouse. The wheelhouse would have to be removed during the scallop season to make way for the dredging frame and winch. Lillian became well known to the local shack owners and visitors, known for ferrying bushwalkers to Schouten Island. When Roger & Ruth retired in 1980, she was purchased by Rod Scott, who fished her out of Coles Bay until 1983. Her days as a commercial fishing boat ended in 1983 when she was sold to Ian Dyer of Launceston and returned to the Tamar. At some point, she sank at Beauty Point but was re-floated and then moved to Kelso briefly with new owner Bob Harvey before being sold to Jeff Bartlett in 1988. Jeff moored her in the Gorge yacht basin where he removed the wet well, re-planked sections of her hull and installed a large cabin for her new life as a pleasure launch. She was also re-powered with a BMC Commodore 52hp engine. She was again sold, this time to an Underwood family who returned her firstly to Bicheno and finally back to Coles Bay in 2002. Disaster struck in March 2003 when she again sank on her mooring, this time as a result of torrential rain and a wild storm. Tim and Archana Brammall and friend Rodney Dransfield bought Lillian, now just a hull, for $1 with the intention of resurrecting her but sadly it wasn’t to be and she sat until 2010 when she was gifted to a group of Vietnam vets who operated the Battery Point slipway. Graeme Smith and his mates undertook the daunting task of restoring Lillian turning her into a couta boat complete with mast, rigging and cuddy cabin. She was entered in the 2011, 2013 & 2015 AWBF’s and was even visited by long term owner Ruth Shelley, who gave Graeme a lot of her oral history. The current custodians of Lillian, Louis Stevens and his son Matt, who is a boat building apprentice with Denman Marine, are currently converting Lillian back to an aft wheelhouse configuration with a small gaff rig and simple coachhouse/saloon. Since her purchase in 2016, she has had new engine beds, mounts, prop shaft, coupling and has had all new hardwood deck beams and carlins installed ready for her new deck install in October 2018. By the time the 2019 AWBF rolls around we hope to have the new wheelhouse, coachhouse and forward hatch.