SPECSAVERS AWBF PHOTOGRAPHY COMPETITION
1. The Specsavers AWBF Photography Competition is promoted and managed by AWBF Inc. (the Promoter), the incorporated not-for-profit organisation that produces the Australian Wooden Boat Festival. Entry to the competition is open to any person who satisfies the entry requirements in Paragraph 2. By submitting your entry and paying the registration fee, you agree to all of the terms and conditions listed here. Prize winners will be selected by a panel of independent judges and their decision is final. Prizes are as described below in Paragraph 18 and 19.
WHO CAN ENTER?
2. Entry is open to any natural person (not an organisation or agency) regardless of their nationality or location, who is the author of the image(s) submitted. Persons under the age of 18 may enter with the written permission of their parent or legal guardian. Please note that parents or guardians, by signing such permission, take on the responsibility for compliance with all of these terms and conditions of entry.
WHAT CAN BE ENTERED?
3. Every entry must be a photograph, either digital or film.
4. Every entry must be the original work of the person submitting it.
5. Every entry must have been captured at the Australian Wooden Boat Festival in Hobart, Australia.
6. Every entry must include a wooden boat.
7. An entry cannot contain any identifying mark of the photographer (e.g. name tags or commercial logos) other than their own image if it is part of the photograph.
8. Any person identifiable in the photograph must have given the photographer written permission to use that image without restriction, evidence of such permission to be provided to the Promoter on request. Images of children must be accompanied by a Model Release signed by the child’s parent or legal guardian.
9. Images with non-photographic additions including computer graphics, trademarks or labels are not acceptable. Copyright materials including brands or trademarks or images owned by third parties are not permitted. An entry must not infringe on the intellectual property of any third person or organisation.
10. Entries will be accepted between 3 September 2018 and 30 November 2018. Entries will not be accepted after 30 November 2018.
11. All entries must be accompanied by the entry fee of $A30 per image submitted (maximum two images per entrant) payable by bank transfer. Bank transfers must include a same-day email to our office at firstname.lastname@example.org with
● the entrant’s name, ● name of the image(s), ● name of your bank, ● the amount ● date of transfer.
Account name: Australian Wooden Boat Festival Inc. BSB: 807 009 (MyState Financial ) Account number 6020 1059
For international transfers, please contact us at email@example.com for instructions.
We will not be responsible for bank transfers that cannot be matched to an entry and in the case of a payment that cannot be identified, the entry will be disqualified and the entry fee will be forfeit.
12. You may enter your image(s) electronically as attachments(s) to an email to firstname.lastname@example.org All entries must meet the following technical specifications. Images should be:
● At least 4800 pixels along the longest edge, after any cropping ● Converted to sRGB colour space ● Saved as a JPG or JPEG ● Saved at highest possible resolution, file not exceeding 10MB
Notes on smart phone and tablet images:
Images captured on early model smart phones, tablets or similar devices, may fall below the required sizes. These images may still be considered by our judging panel, based on artistic merit. In such instances, the technical merits of the image will be considered, prior to printing. If the image cannot be printed at a suitable size and quality for the exhibition, it will be rejected.
Naming your image
We need to identify your images from hundreds of others. We need:
1. Your family name and first initial 2. A number (1 or 2) if you are submitting two images 3. The title of the image
For Evelyn Smith entering two images, ‘Wooden dinghy’ and ‘Ketch’, e.g.
SmithE_1 Wooden dinghy.jpg SmithE_2 Ketch.jpg
Please use this format to name your images.
13. Images that are printed, mounted or published in any other form than the electronic files as detailed in Paragraph 12 will not be accepted. In the case of prints, negatives or slides, these must be scanned and submitted as electronic files. DO NOT send negatives, slides or prints to the AWBF office. We accept no responsibility for materials submitted in this way, nor will they be returned.
HOW DOES THE JUDGING WORK?
14. Valid entries that satisfy the terms and conditions of the competition will be submitted to a panel of judges selected for this purpose by the promoter, AWBF Inc. The judges are chosen for their experience and qualification and are not permitted to submit their own entries in the competition. Any judge who has a personal relationship with any photographer or image submitted for judging must abstain from voting on that entry.
15. All qualifying images will be reviewed by the judges and the finalists selected. The number of finalists selected is the decision of the judges, to a maximum number of 30 finalists for exhibition. Finalists will be notified by email if they are successful. Entrants selected as finalists may be asked to provide supplementary files suitable for high quality large format printing.
16. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into regarding the method of judging, the identities of the judges or their qualifications.
17. All finalist images will be processed and printed by a qualified professional printer to the same size and resolution, then mounted in portrait or landscape format as appropriate. These finalists will be exhibited at the Specsavers AWBF Photography Competition at Brooke Street Pier from 8 – 11 February 2019. The finalists will be announced during the festival.
18. A People’s Choice award will be selected by counting written votes submitted by members of the public attending the Specsavers AWBF Photography Competition display. Voters must attend the exhibition in person to vote and postal votes are not accepted.
WHAT ARE THE PRIZES?
19. The First Prize in the Specsavers AWBF Photography Competition will be $A3,000. The Second Prize will be $A1,500 and the People’s Choice Award will be $A500. Prizes will be paid in Australian currency by bank transfer anywhere in the world. The winner must have a bank account and agree to pay any charges levied by their own bank in receiving the prize money. Prize money will not be paid in cash or non-bank transfer including Western Union.
WHAT RIGHTS ARE INVOLVED?
20. All photographers retain copyright in their work and the promoter, AWBF, Inc., asserts no claims or rights other than those specified in these terms and conditions.
21. All entrants agree to the storage of their images in electronic form for the purpose of judging the competition and the distribution of those images as required to complete the judging process.
22. The photographer warrants that the rights (of any kind) to the photograph have not previously been sold or granted to any third party so that the Promoter’s use of the image(s) in the manner specified in these terms and conditions is limited or restricted. The photographer further agrees that any subsequent sale or assignment of rights will not abridge the promoter’s right to use of the images as specified in these terms and conditions.
23. Finalist’s images as selected by the judging panel will be printed and mounted at the expense of the promoter, for display at Brooke Street Pier as part of the Australian Wooden Boat Festival. Ownership of the printed images remains with AWBF, Inc. These may not be sold or published without the express written permission of the entrant but may be displayed in public to promote the competition and subsequent competitions
24. The finalist grants to the Promoter the right to use the images in electronic form or in print for the specific purpose of promoting the AWBF Inc or the Specsavers AWBF Photography Competition in perpetuity without restriction in any media.
25. The Promoter agrees that the images will not be made available for download on the AWBF website at high resolution and that all images used will be credited to the photographer. However, it is the entrant’s responsibility to protect any images against misuse by third parties by insertion of a digital watermark or other method that is not visible to the judges during judging. The Promoter will not be responsible for unauthorised use of any image by a third party.
26. Electronic files sent as attachments will not be returned and the Promoter accepts no responsibility for submissions in any other form. Prints or physical media sent as submissions will not be returned.
27. By entering the competition, the photographer warrants that the work submitted is their own original work, that all personal details provided are accurate and complete and that he or she has all necessary rights and authorities to grant the rights specified in these terms and conditions so that use of the images as described will not infringe the rights of any third party.
28. The entrant also warrants that permissions as specified in Paragraphs 8 and 9 have been obtained and shall be produced by the entrant upon request, and that the images submitted breach no laws relating to privacy, photography of minors, photographing people in public places or copyright.
29. The entrant, by his or her entry, agrees to indemnify and hold harmless AWBF Inc (the Promoter) against any claim which may arise in relation to the entry submitted by him or her for any cause whatsoever including but not limited to the submission of a non-compliant entry. This indemnity extends to loss or damage claimed by the entrant and to loss or damage claimed by third parties of any kind whatsoever occasioned by the entry of the photograph or photographs.
30. The entrant acknowledges that the Promoter may disclose the entrant’s personal details to employees or agents of AWBF, Inc. in order to conduct the competition and that the entrant’s name, home city and country may be displayed in public if the entry is selected as a finalist and in any media in the event that the entrant is a prize winner.
31. The entrant agrees that registration fees are non-refundable and that the Promoter will not be responsible for any loss occasioned by error, omission, delay, failure of electronic systems, unauthorised access, theft or corruption of entries.
32. All entrants agree that the competition is governed by the laws of Tasmania, Australia and that the courts of Tasmania shall have exclusive jurisdiction to hear and decide any suit, action or proceedings which may arise out of or in connection with the competition.